Wednesday, June 2, 2010

10.13 Bob Cousy on vision

Bob Cousy in his heyday, now 81

There is a fascinating comment by Bob Cousy that appears in Boston Globe [6/2/2010]:

“Vision, I think, for a point guard, is the most important thing. I was constantly being told I had eyes behind my head. It would seem that way to people who didn’t know that much about basketball who couldn’t believe that I could see things I could see. It’s exceptional peripheral vision.

“People who have tunnel vision don’t usually become point guards. That happened with [Chauncey] Billups here before they traded him. I think it was the only thing [Rick] Pitino ever asked me. I didn’t think Billups would make a good point guard because he would penetrate and then run into people. Billups proved me and Pitino both wrong, but I still don’t see him as a great creator in the vein of Rondo.’’

Rondo is of course the 6-1, 175-pound Celtic point guard Rajon Rondo. And here we go again: Game 1 of NBA Championship - June 3, 2010.

Beat LA!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"EYES BEHIND YOU" is a Parking and Backup Sensor for Collision Avoidance. I wonder if it were available in Bob's hayday?
(LOL) ChoSan

EyeDoc said...

Radar came close, no?

Actually Cousy is right, peripheral vision certainly can be quantified. He must have better than average acuity.